Friday, August 29, 2008

Hey Knicks, I want that job!

In yet another lame attempt in pre-occupying myself on another hot, lazy afternoon, I have decided to apply for jobs in the NBA.

Yep, the NBA. Ze National Basketball Association.

Now I know I’m more likely to get hired as an oversized child in a Combantrin commercial than being called up to become a PR guy for the New Orleans Hornets. But with nothing else to do and with resources dwindling by the day, I might as well shoot for the stars and hope that I get noticed.

Upon seeing the NBA’s careers website, I was floored to see that there are a ton of jobs available. ‘Great’, I thought. I’m going to have better odds of getting hired! As I scrolled down the list of open positions, I realized that I was neither qualified nor had any background experience on 90% of the said openings.

Deflated but not undaunted, I scoured for more openings and landed on a particular job description that piqued my curiosity:

http://nbateamjobs.teamworkonline.com/teamwork/jobs/jobs.cfm/Communications?supcat=166

As I read the job descriptions, my heartbeat started beating a few more times than I cared to know. This job is perfect for me! I have a place to stay in New Jersey, and that’s only a 15-minute bus ride away, I love sports and the NBA (duh!), and I’m going to be writing about them for a living. The only thing I need to work on is my support for the team - or whatever they're called these days.

But hell, if they give me this opportunity and pay me while doing it, I’m more than willing to elevate them as my second favorite team. I probably just shot down my chances right there but still, the Hornets are still number one.

Regardless, it’s an avenue worth exploring. Who knows, right? It’s far-fetched to think that the NEW YORK KNICKS will even give me the time of day, but with my current state of mind, nothing seems too unbelievable anymore.

In the meantime, while waiting for a response from my soon-to-be-I-hope-second-favorite-professional-sports-team, I’ll keep my fingers crossed, hope they notice me, and see how great an asset I can be to them.

Now, about that Combantrin commercial; are there any casting calls for that?

No comments: